16/11/2014

Cheltenham - 16th Nov

    I really enjoyed the racing yesterday but couldn't unearth a bet. The highlight was the round of jumping King's Palace put in on his chasing debut, bigger tests are on the horizon but I think he can go to the top.

    Today's card at headquarters is actually a bit better from a quality standpoint with a really hot looking novice chase and the Shloer thing (worst race name of the year.) I was quite tempted by Uxizandre in the latter event but just feel the two mile trip is on the short side.

    The bet today is in the Greatwood Hurdle where I'm going Regal Encore despite the fact that he has been somewhat disappointing thus far in his jumping career. He's a hard horse to resist off of 130 and a double figure price and it's difficult to see him out of the frame. I was at Aintree for his hurdling debut when he was bested by Garde la Victoire and he's a stone better off with that horse today. He's also a lot better off at the weights with Baltimore Rock for their meeting in the Imperial Cup in March and he just looks well in off his rating. He was never put into the race first time out at Chepstow on bad ground over a trip too far from him and I believe connections were protecting his mark that day. With 17 runners and 4 places paid it's one of those races where there is each way value and I think the selection is top of the list in that regard.

Greatwood Handicap Hurdle:
Regal Encore £25ew @ 12/1 (lost)

(-40)



Finally I'd like to pay tribute to Dessie Hughes who died this morning at the age of 71. He was a fine jockey and a great trainer. He will be sorely missed by the jumping communities on both sides of the Irish Sea

R.I.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment