10/03/2015

Cheltenham Festival - Day 2



                                                                          Top Cees - 1998

    A rather tumultuous days racing, especially for the layers. I didn't fair well either, Jezki finishing out of the frame being particularly painful. It's a long week however and I enjoyed the action overall. Highlight of the day was Annie Power bouncing to her feet after coming down at the last hurdle.

    King's Palace was a well beaten favourite in last year's Albert Bartlett when he also came down at the last and because of that disappointing effort he was attractively priced for the RSA at 20/1 before the season began. A price I was happy to take. He's unbeaten in three starts this season and is a general 7/2 shot tomorrow. Naturally it would make sense to worry about that run at the Festival but that was his first appearance on the racecourse since the previous December and that lack of a recent prep we've seen time and again is a major negative for a lot of horses, especially novices. He was iffy at a couple last month but overall I was delighted they got a run into him before his race tomorrow and whilst I do fear Don Poli greatly on my side I have a horse who jumps really well in the main and one who loves the track. The ground and Coneygree's absence are positives and on the tighter old course I think he'll have too much speed and class for the Mullins creature.

    At some stage or other of the season I've backed Champagne Fever in all three of the races he was entered in this week but at least the free bet I received when Douvan won the opener earlier on means my risk/reward scenario is on the value side of the ledger for the Queen Mother. Like King's Palace he's had a much better preparation for the Festival this season and his record at the track is outstanding. He has fewer questions to ask than the bulk of his opposition and I feel having a burner like Special Tiara setting the pace will really suit him. I wouldn't mind seeing Sprinter Sacre win, he's been a good horse for me, but I suspect he won't find much off the bridle and Sire De Grugy is probably a bigger danger. This is a better renewal that last season's though.



Neptune Novices' Hurdle:
Shaneshill £10 NR

RSA Chase:
King's Palace £75w @ 87/10 (lost)

Queen Mother:
Simonsig £10 NR
Champagne Fever £20w @ 84/10 and £25 free bet @ 11/2 via L'ami Serge NR (FB refunded)


Win Double:
Tea For Two(Lanzarote)(won) King's Palace(RSA)(lost) £10 @ 6/1 & 5/1

£5ew Doubles:
Champagne Fever(Queen Mother)NR Smad Place(Gold Cup) @ 6/1 & 25/1

Champagne Fever(Queen Mother)NR Value at Risk(AB) @ 6/1 & 11/1

(+3,75)





No comments:

Post a Comment