12/03/2015

Cheltenham Festival - Day 4


                                                                      Kicking King - 2005


    The Cheltenham Festival, it never ceases to amaze. I'd pretty much written off the bet I placed in November on Uxizandre for the Ryanair. He was disappointing in his last two races but the decent ground he had today really suited him and AP rode a cracker. Thankfully I didn't lay off my stake.

    I'm only involved in the two races tomorrow but have multiple arrows in both events. In the Albert Bartlett my initial thought when getting involved was that both Irish horses at the top of the market were woefully underpriced. Black Hercules hasn't had a run since December and No More Heroes looks a Don Cossack chasing type to me. I'm happy to take them on with the local horses.
Value at Risk ran on really well showing a tremendous attitude on trials day over too short a trip and I just think his liking for the track and his battling qualities give him a decent shout tomorrow. He's a horse with boundless scope and I expect a big run. I have similar thoughts about Blaklion whose form was given a nice boost by Parlour Games in the Neptune. My affinity for Nick Williams stable means I cannot let Tea for Two run without going backed. He's actually a lot longer in the market now than he was when I took a price but the big field will help. He'll outrun his odds for sure.

    The Gold Cup looks more open to me than the World Hurdle. I've gone off Boston Bob since backing him a while back but I think Smad Place will absolutely love the test. He jumps, he stays and a decent pace will really suit. I'm not sure he's classy enough to win but he has excellent place claims.
As for the race as a whole, Silviniaco Conti is starting to look half backable at 5/1 (he'll certainly trade shorter in running) but Djakadam is horrendously short. He won a handicap off 145 last time out and is now around 7/1 - completely mental. I'm not a layer by nature but will consider a place lay if I can trade at around 2/1. As for the rest, I think it's anyone's race. If it rains Many Clouds must have a good chance and the same comment applies to Coneygree. If it stays dry, who knows? It should be fascinating.

    I'll be back next week with my Post Festival thoughts, focusing on my poor non-runner count and a sea change in how I'll approach future Festivals.



Albert Bartlett Novices' Hurdle:
Value at Risk £35w @ 125/10 and £10ew @ 105/10 (lost)
Blaklion £10w @ 14/1 (lost)
Blaklion £12.50ew free bet @ 12/1 via Apache Stronghold
Tea for Two £10w @ 25/1 and £5ew @ 20/1 (lost)

Gold Cup:
Champagne Fever £25 NR
Taquin Du Seuil £15 NR
Wonderful Charm £5 NR
Boston Bob £10ew @ 20/1 (lost)
Smad Place £5ew @ 25/1 and £15pl @ 7/1 (lost)

(-94.25)





No comments:

Post a Comment