11/03/2015

Cheltenham Festival - Day 3



                                                                     Noble Prince - 2011


    Today was pretty terrible for me. First Champagne Fever being pulled out of the Queen Mother and then King's Palace was very disappointing when folding tamely in the RSA. He made a bad mistake at the last ditch but would never have beaten Don Poli in any event. It didn't help that he had a horse who would have been better off in one of the handicaps upsides him most of the way.

    Up until Tuesday I didn't have a position in the JLT but I did mention that I was coming round to Apache Stronghold in one of my ante-post entries last week. I've backed him in three of his four races this season and although he stayed on strongly last time out in the Flogas at Leopardstown he was scratchy at a few of his fences and didn't travel that great either. My worry was that he'd struggle at Cheltenham but looking back at that last race it's noticeable that he jumped better towards the end of the contest and I think there's a fair chance a better pace will suit him and of course Don Poli's win today was a nice form boost.  I've used my second free bet via the Supreme on him and used Paddy Power for another bet as they return your stake for another free bet if your selection is second or third - a nice concession given the tough opposition. Apache Stronghold is closely matched with Valseur Lido but I feel the fact that he could beat the Mullins animal the last time they met despite the way he travelled and the jumping issues suggests he is the better horse. I fear Ptit Zig more than Vautour who is a shocking price. The Nicholls horse looks a good jumper (last race apart) and has form on the track.

    My only remaining interest in the World Hurdle is a small each way double involving Monksland. He'll like the ground, ran well behind Simonsig a few years back now in the Neptune and has an outside chance. The race looks a nightmare though and doesn't interest me from a punting standpoint. A comment that also applies to the Ryanair. I have a poor bet on Uxizandre still on the books and I might leave it but I also might trade it in running (he's a front runner so should be shorter at some stage.)


JLT Novices' Chase:
Apache Stronghold £25 free bet @ 11/2 via L'ami Serge
Apache Stronghold £25w @ 11/2 mbs (2nd)

Ryanair:
Cue Card £35 NR
Champagne Fever £10 NR
Uxizandre £12w @ 16/1 (won)

World Hurdle:
More of That £30 NR

Festival Plate:
Colour Squadron £5 NR

£5ew Double:
Monksland(WH)(lost)Blaklion(AB) @ 16/1 & 14/1

(+80.75)




No comments:

Post a Comment