05/04/2015

Fairyhouse / Ante-Post

    The Ryanair Novice Chase this afternoon looks a fascinating renewal and although Gitane Du Berlais will be hard to beat in receipt of 15lbs from her rivals (7lb sex allowance, 8lbs age) I still want to take her on at a short looking 7/4. I've backed Apache Stronghold on every one of his starts this season apart from his debut over fences but I favour Valseur Lido today. They've finished upsides each other the last two times but the Mullins horse slammed Meade's in the Drinmore over course and distance in November and I feel the track/ground today suits him more. He's also had one fewer race this season, another plus. With just the eight runners I make him a tidy each way bet at 9/2.

    Aintree starts next Thursday and I'll be in attendance that day. At this stage nothing is standing out from a betting point of view although I am pondering the Bowl with a view to opposing Silviniaco Conti and Holywell after their hard races in a brutal Gold Cup.

    I've added Rocky Creek to my National portfolio. I backed him in the race last season and he looks just about as solid as any double figure priced contender could look for the race. He runs off a 2lb lower mark this time and his win at Kempton recently clearly indicates he's a better horse twelve months on. My one problem with the horse before that contest was that he never seemed to finish his races off and there was so much to like about the way he ran all the way to the line that day. If he gets round (and he is a good jumper) it's really hard to see him out of the frame.

    Much further down the line I've had my first ante-post bet for next year's Festival. I intend to be far more judicious when it comes to that meeting in the future as I tend to get too carried away. I'll mainly be looking to eliminate single figure ante-post wagers -  losing money on the likes of Cue Card, Champagne Fever and More of That at those type prices without getting a run when they were never going to be much shorter on the day NRNB is something I have to eliminate. Long term it's too costly. My sole bet thus far is Peace and Co for the Champion Hurdle. As good as Faugheen looked last month the form looks nothing special and I feel he'll have a far harder time defending his crown than he did acquiring it. Peace and Co has never raced on decent ground but he looks the type of strong traveller who will appreciate that type of surface. Am I clutching at straws pointing out that his paternal grandsire was a top of the ground performer who mainly gets good ground flat horses? Maybe, but I think he's overpriced at 12/1.

Ryanair Novice Chase:
Valseur Lido £20ew @ 9/2 (lost)

(-134.25)

Grand National:
Godsmejudge £10w @ 25/1 and £5ew @ 20/1
Rocky Creek £10ew @ 10/1 (5pl)

-
1000 Guineas 
High Celebrity £15w @ 12/1

-
Champion Hurdle:
Peace and Co £10w @ 12/1







No comments:

Post a Comment