16/06/2011

Royal Ascot - Thursday

Onto ladies day. I started the week wanting to get Fame & Glory beat in the Gold Cup despite the fact that I've backed him several times in the past. I wasn't sure he'd stay and he was far from impressive in his two runs thus far this season. But after being reminded how stout his pedigree actually is - by Galileo out of a Shirley Heights mare - I think I've worked out a plan. If he doesn't win today chances are it will be through lack of stamina in the final throes of the race. Bearing in mind how sweetly he travels I have backed him at 5/2 for £120 and have put in an In-Running keep lay (meaning the bet request is valid during the race) at 6/4 for £40 of that stake. I don't think the trainer has had him anywhere near 100% ready so far this year and I expect him to be spot on today. The only evidence I have for that assumption is the way Yeats was campaigned.

Now the rain has come I've had a close look at the Britannia with a view to finding one or two who have soft ground form and look progressive. Chain Lightning from the Hannon stable won a maiden on soft ground as a 2yo at Salisbury and in his only contest this year so far was triumphant in his first handicap over 10f at Sandown. He won that race by a length and a quarter after leading just over 2 out. The fact that he held on despite leading for so long is an indication he is still in front of the handicapper. Now, the fact that this race today is over a shorter trip is a slight worry - as is the fact that it's a race limited to 3yos. But Ascot is a stamina sapping course with an uphill finish so animals who stay further should be OK at shorter trips today. The unexposed nature of most of my fancies rivals means a portion of my stake is each way with the five place concession.

Fame & Glory £120w @ 5/2 (won)

IR keep lay placed @ 6/4 for £40 (matched)

Chain Lightning £20w and £20ew @ 12/1 (lost)


(-111.5)

No comments:

Post a Comment