24/03/2014

Ante-Post Musings

Even though the National is just around the corner the biggest news or hype event I guess you could call it, was the talking up Aidan O'Brien gave Australia after he worked at The Curragh yesterday. He heads straight to Newmarket for the Guineas with his trainer saying he's the second best horse he has trained. And his best was a jumper! I'm paraphrasing obviously but that was the gist of it. The Ballydoyle machine is rarely wrong when they talk up a horse - One Cool Cat is the only one I can think of that ended up being a bit rubbish, and he had heart issues. So I've sort of changed my thoughts with regard to backing/opposing these animals and no longer do the latter without good reason. What changed my thoughts was the season Declaration of War had in 2013. He was hyped to the moon, came out in the Lockinge where he was very short in the betting, ran a stinker and then was subsequently allowed to go off at a big price in a much weaker race at Royal Ascot - which he won of course.

Australia has a mouth watering pedigree being by Galileo out of Ouija Board, but it is very much one that suggests he will be a much better horse at around a mile and a half than over the 2000 Guineas trip. For that solid reason I am against him for the first classic and have sided with Toormore. He had the best overall form going into the winter and I think 8/1 just a month or so out is decent value given how much the favourite takes out of the market.

As for Aintree, I've picked a couple already and will add one or two more on the day for the big race. I mentioned the form boost Double Seven received at the Festival and The Rainbow Hunter is just a horse I had in mind for the race after his win in the Great Yorkshire Chase in January. That was a step up in form for him and he is said to have had a soft palate operation in November which has obviously helped him.


Grand National:
Double Seven £10ew @ 33/1 NRNB
The Rainbow Hunter £10ew @ 40/1 NRNB

--
2000 Guineas:
Toormore £20w @ 8/1

Derby:
Berkshire £10w @ 25/1

--
Arkle:
Josses Hill £10w @ 12/1

Gold Cup:
Champagne Fever £10w @ 20/1

2 comments:

  1. Great blog Nick. Just added you to my blogroll tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Steve, I've done likewise.

    ReplyDelete