10/03/2014

Cheltenham Festival - Day 1

                          MY TENT OR YOURS AND CHAMPAGNE FEVER


I've been following horse racing since the late 1980's and I can't remember any race of any description flat or jumps in all that time that matches up to this year's Champion Hurdle in terms of the quality of it's renewal and the pure anticipation surrounding it. Numerous words have been written about it and numerous previews have broken it down over the last couple of weeks or so so I don't see the need to add anything to what I myself have already put down on this blog. Suffice to say it's a race for the ages and I'm happy with my position on it.

As ever the Supreme Novices' Hurdle opens the best four days racing of the year and I'm moderately hopeful that The Liquidator can at least give a good account of himself. He ran no sort of race in the Tolworth Hurdle last time out but I believe he's better than that. It looks a wide open race.

The Arkle Trophy looks to be between Trifolium and Champagne Fever. I backed Trifolium for this race last season before the news broke that he would be given a hurdling campaign. He got injured during the campaign and wasn't seen out until the Autumn. He looks the best jumper of a fence in this line-up and has improved with every start. His Supreme run a couple of years ago shows the track won't be an issue, nor the drying ground. The same of course can be said of Champagne Fever who I fear a great deal despite his lack of experience over the big obstacles. Festival form should never be underestimated.

I'd normally write a bigger entry for one of the best day's racing of the whole year but I'm having troubles aplenty at work at the minute and feel a bit down. Hopefully I'll have cheered up a bit by tomorrow afternoon.

As ever good luck if you're reading this and have bets on and of course let's hope all horses and jockeys return safe and sound after racing.

EDIT: There might be a few moves before racing as flucuations are very possible on the day with all the competition amongst bookmakers. Pricewise has gone for the Tent in the Champion Hurdle so I've laid a small amount back with his inevitable shortening.

Supreme Novices':
West Wizard NR £15
The Liquidator £25w @ 177/10 (lost)

Arkle Trophy:
Felix Yonger NR £20
Trifolium £62w @ 59/10 (lost)

Champion Hurdle:
Jezki £20w @ 172/10 (won)
My Tent or Yours £50w @ 7/1 (lost)
Our Conor £40w @ 68/10 (fell)

NH Chase:
Just a Par NR £5w

£1 Lucky 15:
Irving (Supreme) 12/1 (lost)
My Tent or Yours (CH) 4/1 (lost)
Briar Hill (Albert Bartlett) 6/1
Bob's Worth (Gold Cup) 9/4

£10 Each Way Doubles:
Trifolium (Arkle) (third) and Fingal Bay (Pertemps) 5/1 and 8/1
Jezki (CH) (won) and Red Sherlock (Neptune) 9/1 and 9/2
Our Conor (CH) (fell) and Wonderful Charm (JLT) 9/2 and 6/1
Our Conor (CH) and Mendip Express (NH Chase) NR

(-421.75)


No comments:

Post a Comment