13/03/2014

Cheltenham Festival - Day 4

BOB'S WORTH AND FIRST LIEUTENANT



Today's racing I found frustrating in the main. I was keen on both Felix Yonger and Wonderful Charm for the opener but both ran as if they were in the wrong event. My initial bet on the latter was for the RSA at a tidy 16/1 and I did mention that the trip was a concern in yesterday's entry. I don't know why he was aimed so strongly at the shorter race when it was clear to me at least that the ground should have been the deciding factor. If it had been on the soft side he might have got away with it today. As for Felix Yonger, it's clear Chamapagne Fever is a stouter stayer. Al Ferof was also a disappointment later on, but he struck into himself and returned lame. A poor day overall.

So, onto the final day of the Festival. Like Wonderful Charm and Felix Yonger I was always going to back Briar Hill no matter what race he was aimed at, a sounder strategy with this horse as I have no doubts he'll be just as effective at either the Neptune or Albert Bartlett trips. He powered up the hill last year when unfancied in the Bumper and goes into tomorrow's race with a fair amount of hype behind him. Luckily I placed my bets on him before this hype kicked into gear and find myself in a strong position in the race now. I've beaten the book by a nice margin and so have backed King's Palace as well. He was available at 9/2 last night in a place and that looks too big so close to the race given his form, the ground, and the week his stable is having.

The Triumph Hurdle opens the card but unfortunately niether of the Nick Williams horses I backed ante-post have made the line-up. Broughton and Royal Irish Hussar represent the Fox Norton formline and preference is for the latter as he's the more likely of the two to fully stay the trip.

The Gold Cup is more open than the betting suggests in my opinion. Yes, Bob's Worth has a strong chance, but despite his win last season he was outpaced quite badly at one stage before powering up the hill past a legless Sir Des Champs and Long Run. If the same thing happens again his rivals won't be slowing down anywhere near as much on better ground and so he's worth taking on for that reason. Last year's runner-up was my original fancy but he is out and if they both go I think First Lieutenant and Last Instalment have claims. The former has a fantastic record at the Festival and although his record this season is patchy this will be the first time he'll get his ground since he won at Aintree last April (when he beat Silviniaco Conti of course). He's a doubtful stayer I know but he's longer in the betting than Trio D'Alene in places and that cannot be right. I expected Last Instalment to be pulled out without any rain falling but I think they've watered the track enough to keep him involved. He acts on decent ground but the concern is will his legs be ok on it given his injury issues. After these two, Bob's Worth and Silviniaco Conti (who is feared but a bit tight in the betting) the race lacks depth and so the each way positions I have on the two Gigginstown runners look like solid bets.



Triumph Hurdle:
Fox Norton NRFB £30 (King's Palace @ SP)
Le Rocher NR £25

Albert Bartlett Novices'
Briar Hill £60w @ 51/10 and £10ew @ 9/2 (NRNB double with Benefficient, Queen Mother) (fell)
King's Palace £25w @ 9/2 (fell)

Gold Cup:
Al Ferof NR £15
Sir Des Champs NRFB £15 (Royal Irish Hussar @ 9/1) (lost)
Last Instalment £13ew @ 10/1 (fell)
First Lieutenant £20ew @ 15/1 (void)

£1 Lucky 15:
Irving (Supreme) 12/1 (lost)
My Tent or Yours (CH) 4/1 (lost)
Briar Hill (Albert Bartlett) 6/1 (fell)
Bob's Worth (Gold Cup) 9/4 (lost)

(-846.25)










No comments:

Post a Comment