17/03/2014

Cheltenham Postscript

It was a strange Festival for me. With the issues I have in my worklife I didn't enter the week with the same giddy excitement I normally do and outside of my ante-post portfolio I felt a reluctance to back in other races or top up the bets I already had. I initially punted Jezki for the Champion Hurdle immediately after the 2013 Festival at a big looking 20/1 and aside from a minimal top up in the summer he was left alone. I didn't go off the horse, I just fancied Our Conor more after the runs they had in the winter. Being light on a big priced winner is nearly as bad as missing one altogether and ultimately with the misfortune I suffered on Friday (Le Rocher not running and Briar Hill falling - the former beat the second in the Triumph easily last time out and Briar Hill had a decision over both Very Wood and Apache Jack) it cost me a profit on the week. Overall though I was happy with my bets over the week all things considered.

The horse to take out of the week is Champagne Fever. He jumped like a stag in the Arkle and was just outspeeded near the line. His pedigree screams three miles and I liken him to a Derby horse running in a 2000 Guineas. A top class 12f animal might win the occasional Newmarket Classic (really weak ones like Camelot's edition) but they will always be better over further. The same sort of comment applies to Champagne Fever, and with a step up in trip inevitable one only needs to suss out whether or not he'll be aimed towards the Ryanair or the Gold Cup. In the hierarchy of the Mullins stable novice hurdlers last season and novice chasers this he has always been numero uno and so I cannot for the life of me see them wasting a campaign geared towards the Ryanair when Willie must be absolutely desperate to win a Gold Cup after finishing runner up the last couple of years.

I'm not a massive fan of the Grand National nowadays but it does look a decent betting heat this season because none of the market leaders appeal in the slightest. I'll be looking to back three or four outsiders each way. The first of these is Double Seven whose Munster National win last October was franked big time at Cheltenham.


Ante-Post:

Grand National:
Double Seven £10ew @ 33/1 NRNB
--
2000 Guineas:
Toormore £15w @ 8/1

Derby:
Berkshire £10w @ 25/1
--
Gold Cup:
Champagne Fever £10w @ 20/1

No comments:

Post a Comment