16/06/2014

Royal Ascot - Day 1

    I think this could be a relatively quiet Ascot week for me. I have a couple of bets lined up for the first day but not too many after that. In the opener I have an each way position on Soft Falling Rain thanks to Dustin Johnson managing to place in the US Open at the weekend although it's not as good as it could have been as he tied for fourth with five other players meaning there's a dead heat deduction on what I have going on my Queen Anne selection. Toranado is obviously the likeliest winner of the race but he's been off the track since August and isn't an odds-on shot to my eyes.

    I didn't anticipate a bet in the King's Stand Stakes with it being such a stacked contest, but Paddy Power have enticed me in with their money back if your selection is second or third offer. I've backed Hot Streak in both his starts this season and at 4/1 he's worth another go with that place insurance. His win in the Temple at Haydock was very impressive and although Pearl Secret looked to be coming back at him towards the end of that race I think the selection won with a deal in hand that day. His jockey looked to be sizing up the opposition at one point before unleashing him and it's possible he let him go a tad early. He's a very exciting sprinter and also a course and distance winner. Sole Power and Shea Shea didn't really fight out the finish to this last season as they were on opposite sides of the track but they are both heavily respected. The South African runner is berthed in 2 this year with Hot Streak, Sole Power and Pearl Secret in 11, 8 and 7 respectively so potentially the draw could be a factor again.

    The St James's Palace Stakes isn't really a betting race although I think Night of Thunder should be closer in price to Kingman.

Queen Anne Stakes:
Soft Falling Rain £5ew dbl with Dustin Johnson (US Open) @ 12/1 and 35/1 (lost)

King's Stand Stakes:
Hot Streak £40w @ 4/1 (mbs) (3rd, money back)

(+574.25)

No comments:

Post a Comment