21/06/2014

Royal Ascot - Day 5

 

    Since losing my job on the railway in January and taking up Yoga at roughly the same time I seem to have calmed down a bit both in terms of day to day living and as a punter. A few years ago, just before I started this blog in fact, I backed Maljimar place only in the big handicap chase on day one of the Cheltenham Festival. Any proper racing fan knows what happened in that race, it was the scene of one of AP McCoy's finest ever rides aboad Wichita Lineman. I was sat at home shouting him home because I knew I would be second guessing myself to death if Maljimar had actually won the race. Fast forward to yesterday and my place only bet on Lesstalk in Paris in the Coronation Stakes and I had no feelings on her winning the race when it looked like she had a chance as she flashed down the outside of the field. I suppose it could be the realisation that I had the correct bet on her more than me being more chilled these days but the point stands.

    Onto the final day of the Royal meeting and I have a big priced fancy in the Diamond Jubilee but less of a decision this time as I already have a very small position on Astaire at a mammoth looking 26/1 ante-post. I've gone with topping up at 10/1 and having a wee place bet as well. The bet overall looks small but it is a trappy race and I can't be going in all guns blazing on a Jamie Spencer ridden horse the week he's had.

    The race looks a fascinating renewal, although less competitive than normal. Slade Power is a worthy favourite and will be tough to beat, he's very consistant and his win first time out at the Curragh in May gives him a form edge over Astaire. The Ballydoyle contender is a 3yo and is hard to read but shouldn't be shorter in the market than my selection. Aljamaheer is the buzz horse of the race and is actually challenging Slade Power for favouritism. I can't be having that and his poor price would be my angle into the race if I wasn't already on. I don't like milers/7f beasts stepping down in trip and although he was unlucky in his first attempt at this distance that was in a very average looking Group 3 at Newmarket and he is way underpriced for this. The rest of the field don't look anything special (Gordon Lord Byron excepted, but the ground is against that marvellous horse) but as we saw in the King's Stand shocks are more common place in sprints than in other Group 1 events over further. Astaire looks solid at 10/1, he ran a cracker first time out at York and should come on for the run. As I mentioned earlier Slade Power holds him on a line through Maarek but as a 3yo my selection has scope for progress and was better than the bare result that day on the Knavesmire as he was drawn 2 of 13 but ended up on the stands rail, covering more ground than the winner. 

    My other bet is Telescope in the Hardwicke. I think he's the best horse in the race and although he heads the market, 5/2 is a little too big. This overpricing is due to his two defeats thus far this campaign, but both of these runs were on soft ground, and both were efforts behind Noble Mission who has franked the form since in a Group 1 at the Curragh (form which itself was boosted by Magician's run on Wednesday.) The good to firm ground today will be right up Telescope's alleypipe and I expect him to win readily. Speaking of that Magician second, the £25 free bet token I received that day has been used on this race.

Hardwicke Stakes:
Telescope £40w @ 5/2 (free bet via Magician £25@5/2) (won)

Diamond Jubilee Stakes:
Astaire £15w @ 15/1 £15pl @ 11/4 (lost)

(+739.75)






No comments:

Post a Comment