23/08/2015

Deauville - 23rd Aug

    I was disappointed with the tactics employed on Top Notch Tonto in the Stensall Stakes yesterday. I mentioned in my post the previous day that I was concerned about Mizzou's tendency to be held up in his races and that that wasn't the way to go at York this week but that I also felt his trainer was shrewd enough to adapt. This happened and the horse was just beaten by a horse I have to admit I hadn't considered as a danger. Anyway, no such shrewdness was evident in Brian Ellison's mind.

    The form of the Pretty Polly Stakes at the Curragh in June has worked out really well with Legatissimo and Secret Gesture "winning" Group 1 races recently and I like the chances of the third in that race, Ribbons, in the Prix Jean Romanet tomorrow. She ran a cracking race on ground that wouldn't have been ideal for her and with soft conditions later today I think she'll be hard to beat. It bares relating that she was held up that day at the Curragh in a race where the winner enjoyed the run of the race and Dettori had to come late and wide. She won the Romanet last year and although it looks a stronger renewal this time around I think 4/1 is very fair. I've never been that convinced by the level of Avenir Certain's form and although We Are beat the selection at Longchamp back in the Autumn that was in a race run on good ground and Ribbons is notably better when she can get her toe in.

Prix Jean Romanet:
Ribbons £50w @ 4/1 (lost)

(-664.63)

No comments:

Post a Comment