01/08/2015

Doncaster, Goodwood and Thirsk - 1st Aug

    After a very quiet week watching the action at Glorious Goodwood but not betting since Tuesday I have a bunch of tracker horses out today and a fancy in the Group 1 Nassau Stakes. I was busy researching and taking prices last night so didn't have chance to blog - some of my selections have shortened and one has lengthened and to be honest I can't be bothered posting screenshots.

    First bet of the day is Putting Green in the 2.55 at Doncaster. After going into my tracker when coming wide and late behind Dartmouth at Sandown earlier in the year he seemed to find the 10f at Goodwood on the short side in his next race and although he was down the field in a mile and a half handicap at the royal meeting that was a very strong race and he actually looked like challenging at one point before fading in the last half furlong. Dartmouth was in front of him again that day and has won since so there's no doubting the quality of that form and today's conditions should suit him. There'll be less of an emphasis on stamina given the field size and the flatness of Doncaster compared to Ascot and I was happy to get 14/1 last night. That price is now subject to a Rule 4 with a couple of rivals now not running and I've topped up at 8s this morning. Express Himself also runs at this meeting and I'm still keen on him despite the fact that he's won for me already this season (usually knock a horse off my tracker after they've scored.) His victory at Haydock was so eye catching after being left at the start that he's still ahead of the handicapper imo. That said he steps up to 10f today and this is off putting. For this reason I've just put him in a small double with Legatissimo, the main danger to my fancy in the Nassau Stakes.

    Star of Seville seems overpriced to my eyes in the big race of the day. Yes, the Prix de Diane was not a very strong renewal but that does not explain why she's trading longer than Lady of Dubai. This seems based on their relative positions at Epsom but the selection didn't stay that day and was almost knocked over at one point. Diamondsandrubies also looks too short, she had the run of the race big time in the Pretty Polly at the Curragh and with Star of Seville being a front runner she won't have that luxury today. Legatissimo is solid and hopefully I have cover with her. Later on at Goodwood I have backed Heartbreak Hero in the 7f handicap. This Haggas creature went into my tracker after an eye catching run at York last month when he was left at the start and had to be notably switched to the far side at one point in order to challenge. He looks well handicapped and although this looks a tough heat I'm getting decent odds. I actually took 8/1 last night and he has gone out to 10/1 in a place this morning - topped up.

    Lastly my nap of the day is Saigon City in the Summer Cup at Thirsk. I've probably banged on more about this horse than any other this season and I'm as keen on him as ever. Back in June I got 14s about him for a handicap at Salisbury and was so confident of a big return. He started at 5/1 and ran into a Group horse in Lightning Spear but still ran ever so well to get second. I was surprised his rating wasn't raised after that effort, and also after his conqueror that day ran so well behind Arod at Ascot and so he appeals hugely today. I worry about the big field  but granted even luck he should win. I took 9/2 and 4s yesterday evening.

That just about covers it, my busiest punting day since Cheltenham back in March. 

Unison Defending the NHS Handicap:
Putting Green £20w @ 14/1 and £20w @ 8/1 (won)

Unison Campaigning for Public Services Handicap/Nassau Stakes
Express Himself/Legatissimo £10w dbl @ 11/2 & 2/1 (lost)

Nassau Stakes:
Star of Seville £40w @ 7/1 (lost)

Qatar Stakes:
Heartbreak Hero £15ew @ 8/1 and £5ew @ 10/1 (lost)

Thirsk Summer Cup:
Saigon City £55w @ 427/100 (lost)

(-427.63)


No comments:

Post a Comment