19/08/2015

York - 20th Aug

    I must admit Golden Horn being bested by a 50/1 shot in today's Juddmonte was very amusing to me, and I was delighted to see David Elsworth back in the Group 1 winners enclosure. When I first got into racing back in the late 1980s he was very much "the man" with top class horses over jumps and the flat - Desert Orchid and In the Groove in particular standing out.

    Francois Doumen hasn't quite reached the heights on the level after such notable successes with his National Hunt charges back in the day but he has a nice filly in Sea Calisi who runs in the Yorkshire Oaks tomorrow. I'm always a sucker for an overlooked foreign runner in a Group 1 so I sent a bit of time watching her videos on Equidia the other day and was impressed enough to take a bit of an interest at 14/1 before topping up at declaration time when she opened at 12s. She's a nice moving filly with a game attitude and it's a shame Katinya ran below form against Jazzy Top in the Prix de la Nonette the other day at Deauville as we would have had some reliable collateral form then but I think the conditions tomorrow will suit her and she looks overpriced to me. I fear Covert Love naturally, she's a filly with very little not to like about her, but the rest of the field look exposed or average at best at this level and I'm happy to take a punt at the price I have.

    My other bet is on an old favourite, Mange All in the big handicap over a mile. He's not run since March and hasn't won since the previous July, but his form from the the late Summer/Autumn period of last year has been boosted no end this season by the likes of GM Hopkins and The Corsican. His trainer is in excellent form as well and although the gap in races is a worry this event has nice price money attached and I'm hoping Haggas has him straight. If not I've taken some each way insurance (fingers crossed he doesn't finish fourth like Oasis Fantasy today - the two non runners in his race stung big time.)

Clipper Logistics Stakes (Handicap):
Mange All £20ew @ 8/1 (lost)

Yorkshire Oaks:
Sea Calisi £15w @ 14/1 and £15ew @ 12/1 (3rd)

(-467.63)

No comments:

Post a Comment