22/11/2015

Ante-Post

    I've already posted my thoughts on yesterday's Betfair and Amlin Chase's and how they impacted upon the King George and my thoughts on that market but I also feel the Irving/Top Notch duel was almost as interesting. The latter out jumped the former throughout and just seemed to get out speeded in the long run in to the line (for me Haydock could do with spacing out their obstacles a bit better, I would like to see the last flight somewhat closer to the finish line.) In addition to that Top Notch was having his first run of the season and will come on for the race. Going forward I like all three of Nicky's trio of Triumph horses from last March, I'm involved ante-post on Peace and Co for the Champion Hurdle and I've taken a little bit of 11/2 about Hargam for next Saturday's Fighting Fifth at Newcastle. This race looks like cutting up quite badly and with the weather forecast generally dry for next week in the North East I think his trainer will let Hargam take part. Like Top Notch he needed his first race of the season when he was given a tough task in a handicap at Cheltenham and Arctic Fire it seems to me is the only credible looking opponent at this stage (Peace and Co is reportedly being aimed at the Bula and even if Irving runs he would be one to be against given how busy he's been recently.)

    My other recent bet is also a bit ground dependent but at the other end of the scale. Houblon Des Obeaux is similar to Tea for Two in that he's come down the handicap despite doing nothing much wrong in his recent races. His rating when running Coneygree to 7 lengths giving him a pound in the Denman Chase back in February was 162 - and he runs off 156 in the Hennessy next weekend. Since that run at Newbury he was well beaten in the Gold Cup (besides the front four plenty of good horses were mullared in that race) fell in the Scottish National after a hard season and in a race run on unsuitable ground, and didn't show up first time out at Ascot a three weeks ago (good ground again.) This horse is a high class handicap chaser who needs a good bit of dig and in the hope he gets it I took 20s about him for this year's Hennessy a few days ago. He was second in the race last year off a pound higher mark and although this looks a tougher renewal he's over priced. I think Coneygree and Saphir Du Rheu simply take too much out of the market at present and it's a race I want a couple of double figure priced horses running for me.


Fighting Fifth Hurdle:
Hargam £15w @ 11/2

Hennessy Gold Cup:
Houblon Des Obeaux £10w @ 20/1

King George:
Silviniaco Conti £10w @ 14/1



Champion Hurdle:
Peace and Co £20w @ 13/1

Neptune:
Shantou Village £10w @ 16/1

World Hurdle:
Whisper £15w @ 13/1

Ryanair:
Apache Stronghold £14w @ 31/1

Gold Cup:
Don Poli £20w @ 82/10
Holywell £5w @ 43/1


2 comments:

  1. I think you have jumped the gun with Houblon Des Obeaux (who hasn't won a race in 2 years), and this horse will likely be 25/1 (or longer) on the day - especially if Coneygree runs.
    I can see Coneygree starting at 9/4 on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must admit, I didn't see Coneygree not running, so you have done well taking 20/1 on Houblon Des Obeaux. Should be in the 1st-4.

    ReplyDelete