22/11/2013

Weekend Racing - Ascot and Haydock

Tomorrow's Betfair Chase at my local track is the obvious place to start for this weekend's action. It's a mouth watering line-up and whilst I hope they all stand their ground I am slightly worried about Cue Card taking in a race on soft over more than 3 miles with my King George bet on him in mind. The ground is soft at present but it is bright and sunny in the north west at present. I think the race is priced up about right with both Silviniaco Conti and Bob's Worth looking very solid. On the same card Clondaw Kaempfer runs off 136 in a handicap hurdle. I'd prefer to see that horse over fences to be honest but I can't blame the trainer for keeping this most promising of horses over timber with a mark like that. Hopefully he'll be a backable price.

Saturday's Ascot card is almost as good with Al Ferof taking on the Captain's Conan and Chris in the Amlin Chase over 2 and a half miles. I wouldn't oppose the Nicholls horse in what looks a straightforward task if he's back to his best. The other big race features Zarkandar taking on Annie Power in the Ascot Hurdle. The Mullins mare does look an exciting prospect but I can't have her at odds on. Zarkandar goes very well fresh and he is unexposed over more than two miles. His form from Aintree with The New One looks bombproof and I managed to get some 7/4 matched on Betfair last night. I think there is a good chance he's even better than that run at Liverpool indicated coming as it did not long after a poorish run in the Champion Hurdle and in my opinion Anne Power would have to be better than Quevega to beat him in this. There is a sniff of hype about her and I expect to be able to top up on Zarkandar on the day.

Haydock and Ascot both stage card's today as well and whilst the action naturally isn't as high class I've still managed to find a bet in the 2.40 at the latter track. Nick Williams doesn't seem to have any stars in his care at present but as a follower of his stable I still pay special attention to his runners when they appear on my radar. Greywell Boy went onto my tracker when he was third in a handicap chase over two miles also at Ascot at the start of November. He jumped poorly at times but showed good resolution in not being beaten far in third in a race won by a horse who was in the frame at the Festival in the Grand Annual. I do like it when horses plug on despite jumping errors (I call it the Menorah Effect) and the race today is over slightly further which should suit and of course he may just have needed it first time out. Double Ross has form in a couple of decent looking novice chases so far this term and rates a big danger but the race doesn't look that competitive and I'm happy with 100/30 on the selection.


Winkworth Handicap Chase:
Greywell Boy £40w @ 100/30 (lost)

(+27.5)

Coral Ascot Hurdle:
Zarkandar £25w @ 7/4







No comments:

Post a Comment