14/12/2013

Cheltenham - 14th Dec

For the second straight weekend we have a good day's racing to look forward to but one where I'm struggling to find a bet. Last week I was really disappointed with myself. I ended up having a couple of doubles in races I really didn't have fancies in and the Clondaw Kaempfer bet was bad, it was one of those where I could just envisage him winning if I didn't back him - although it was an awful looking race to be fair.

This weekend I'm a little fed up already. I was really taken with Wonderful Charm when he won at Wincanton last month and took a position about him in what I assumed would be his target at the Festival, the RSA. But after his recent success at Newbury and his narrow defeat behind Oscar Whiskey yesterday connections have indicated the Jewson will be his destination in March. I think they want to look after him given that he'll only be six at the turn of the year but the horse is all about stamina and he'll need further than 2m5f in top company. At least I backed him with the non runner free bet concession at BetVictor.

As I said not too much appeals today but Salut Flo has been winking at me all week. I quite fancied him for the Paddy Power but the stable preferred Ballynagour for that race. A month later he takes on the principals on better terms as Johns Spirit and Colour Squadron have been reassessed. I was at Cheltenham the day he won the Byrne Group Plate in 2012. I remember watching the race on a giant TV near the concession stands just down from the paddock whilst knocking back a big Hog Roast bap. He jumped so economically that day and won with plenty in hand - some feat in a Festival handicap. Although the lay off since isn't ideal he actually ran in this renewal a couple of years back after a similar absence and was looking competitive until making a bad mistake three out. It's not like he blew up through lack of fitness and I see that as a good indicator today.

I managed to get 11 matched on Betfair yesterday evening for a tenner and have backed him each way this morning at 9/1. I want the place element just because that hill might catch him out against race fit animals.

December Handicap Chase:
Salut Flo £10w @ 10/1 and £20ew @ 9/1 (lost)

(-327.5)


No comments:

Post a Comment