25/12/2013

Kempton - 26th Dec

So, Christmas out of the way and we can look forward to the highlight of this holiday period, tomorrow's cracking card at Kempton and in particular a cracking renewal of the King George. When I first backed Al Ferof for the race back in March Sprinter Sacre and Simonsig headed the ante-post list and even Bob's Worth, who was never going to go for the race, was ahead of him in the market. Having been injured in the run up to last year's race Al Ferof was a forgotten horse in the spring but I was confident his trainer would get him back -  Paul Nicholls being second to none in getting staying chasers back after setbacks.

Al Ferof seems to have been around for a long time but it's amazing to think this race tomorrow will be his first attempt at three miles. Amazing because his racing style (a strong travelling sort who finds a lot under pressure) and his pedigree both suggest he will make a top class staying chaser. His win under a big weight in the 2012 Paddy Power on similar ground that he'll encounter tomorrow was very impressive and indeed I would claim it is the strongest piece of actual staying form amongst the top three in the betting. Cue Card's Betfair Chase win was fantastic but he had his own way in front and the true distance of that race was someway short of the 3m1f advertised. I'm not saying Al Ferof's Paddy Power was more impressive that that effort, it plainly wasn't from a form perspective - but it was a more grueling contest where two horses pulled clear, Al Ferof asserting at the last from Walkon, who went on to finish runner up in the December Gold Cup to a ridiculously well handicapped Unioniste - high class himself of course.

Cue Card will be a formidable rival tomorrow for all that he didn't run well in the race last year but I have him in my portfolio as well. I just don't fancy him as strongly as my main bet. There is a suspicion that he's better going left handed as well. Dynaste worries me enough to have some sort of cover but that is a reflection of the wriggle room I have on the race now given my immense ante-post value more than actually thinking he will win. His impressive win in the Feltham over course and distance twelve months ago means he has to be respected.

Of the other contenders I've always had a soft spot for Menorah and if I was convinced he was 100% for this (first run of the season and stable companion Captain Chris was connections main hope for the race but has been pulled out through injury) I would have a sneaky each way on him. But none of the rest strike me as likely winners. Silviniaco Conti has been found out his last three outings, Mount Benbulben has jumping issues and Long Run is on the decline.

It's been a relatively quiet Jumps season for me thus far with not a lot of bets and I've only had the one decent winner so tomorrow's race is important. I badly want Al Ferof to win to set me up for the Festival.

The Christmas Hurdle that precedes the main event is a fascinating clash between My Tent or Yours and The New One. I'm firmly in the former's camp for the Champion Hurdle but he isn't a bet at 5/4 tomorrow. Just hope he wins.

King George:
Al Ferof £70w @ 82/10 (lost)
Cue Card £25w @ 74/10 (lost)
Dynaste and Kings Palace(Albert Bartlett) £15dbl @ 4/1 & 5/1 (lost)

(-437.5)






No comments:

Post a Comment