07/09/2014

St Leger

    I hit the post big time yesterday in backing the second and third in the Sprint Cup. Conditions races that feature short priced favourites who look beatable even for a place are excellent each way races and I should have had at least some of my Gordon Lord Byron stake in the place market.

    The St Leger next Saturday has a market with a similar shape to it and whilst Kingston Hill isn't quite as weak as Sole Power was I have major doubts about him staying a mile and three quarters, especially in an attritional race like the Leger. What you want is a horse bred to thrive for this step up in trip and I just don't see that from a son of Mastercraftsman. I backed Snow Sky in the Voltigeur and one can make a case for him at 6/1 but I prefer Windshear who trades three points larger. He has two Arc winners close up in his pedigree and is a half brother to a two mile winner so looks tailor made for the Leger trip. His run in the Gordon Stakes at Goodwood behind Snow Sky was eye catching and to me he looked a horse that day who would be more at home on a flat track as he rolled about in the straight as the race began in earnest.

    The row of seconds next to his name adds weight to the each way option but I expect noticeable improvement for the extra distance and my only concern is the trainer. As good a year as Richard Hannon has had I suppose I still see him as a trainer of sprinters and milers but that said I'm happy to absorb that negative at 9/1.

St Leger:
Windshear £20ew @ 9/1

No comments:

Post a Comment