26/09/2014

Newmarket - 27th Sept

    My main bet tomorrow is High Celebrity in the Cheveley Park Stakes. I'm still keen on her although the the drying ground concerns me slightly. I posted my thoughts on the race earlier in the week and only need add that I have topped up my original bet.

    The Cambridgeshire is my favourite domestic race of the flat season and has been responsible for my two biggest ever winners. One of those horses, Bronze Angel, has his third run in the contest and whereas twelve months ago he went in cold running for the first time that year he is quite exposed this time around and it could be argued not greatly handicapped. However he has a 5lb claimer up top which brings his mark down to his last winning one. It's true this claimer rode him last time out when he was second in a handicap at Doncaster but he ran into an unexposed 3yo that day and ran really well in the circumstances (I would also add that the field size that day wasn't the biggest, Bronze Angel's best form all coming in races with lots of horses.) It's a tough ask naturally and there will be better handicapped horses in the race, but my fella loves the test, is racing off a winning mark if we take the claim into account and six places are being paid in places. That'll do me.

    I'm also having a bet on Gabrial's Kaka. I actually had the Cambridgeshire in mind for this horse when he was a fast finishing third behind Velox (who is one of the market leaders tomorrow and is much worse off at the weights) in a handicap at Sandown in July. He started slowly and ran on without ever threatening next time out at York (Bronze Angel ahead of him that day) and you definitely couldn't claim he's a well handicapped contender, but I think this step up in trip will really suit him and ultimately he's a bet because 28/1 is just too big.

Cheveley Park Stakes:
High Celebrity £50w @ 54/10 (3rd)

Cambridgeshire Handicap:
Bronze Angel £20ew @ 16/1 (6pl) (won)
Gabrial's Kaka £20ew @ 28/1 (5pl) (lost)

(+1511.45)





No comments:

Post a Comment