06/12/2014

Aintree & Sandown - 6th Dec

    I'm excited about today's cards and have managed to find three bets, which is quite high for me on a non Festival type day. I mentioned my liking for Mendip Express in the Becher Chase earlier in the week and I'm quite suprised he's available at 14/1 this morning. It is a race with dangers aplenty of course but it's a test that I think will really suit the horse. He travels and jumps well and is just a mean physical specimen with loads of scope. 14/1 with 5 places paid are generous each way terms.

    The Tingle Creek is the big race of the day and whilst I can understand why Balder Succes and God's Own are the prices they are I want to take them on because I think both are a tad overrated. The former has the better form and should come on for his run giving weight behind the latter in the Haldon Gold Cup but he ran poorly at this meeting last year. God's Own looks a high class chaser in the making but things very much went his way in both his last two wins with some of his opponents running well below par and again I'd like to take them on. I've selected Dodging Bullets who looks overpriced at 10/1. When I'm looking at a race one of the methods I use in attempting to unearth a bit of value is price comparing certain animals in the market and in this race today I don't believe Vukovar and Oscar Whisky should be shorter than Dodging Bullets. Vukovar is priced up mainly on promise and a pinch of hype and Oscar Whisky surely needs further than two miles and is vulnerable from a jumping point of view at this track. There was a lot to like about the selection's run behind Uxizandre at the open meeting first time up (the front two that day had the advantage of a run beforehand) and whilst on a line through Simply Ned he has around 4 lengths to find on Balder Succes he should come on for that run at Cheltenham (as most of Nicholls do) and 10/1 is very fair.

    Finally I can't resist an interest in horse I backed a couple of times last season. Amore Alato is a nice front running hurdler Nick Williams trains and he has some very nice form in the bank from his novice days including fine runs in defeat behind Irving and Lac Fontana. He's off 137 today and has decent claims at 9/1. This will be his first run of the season which is a possible concern and for that reason I'm attempting a back and partial lay strategy on him. As a strong travelling front runner he should trade much shorter than his current price in running at some stage.

Becher Chase:
Mendip Express £10w @ 12/1 & £15ew @ 14/1 (5pl) (2nd)

December Handicap Hurdle
Amore Alato £45w @ 95/10 (IR lay of £15 @ 6) (2nd)

Tingle Creek:
Dodging Bullets £25w/£10pl @ 10/1 (won)

(+671.25)




No comments:

Post a Comment