25/12/2014

Kempton - 26th Dec

    The market for tomorrow's King George has changed fairly radically over the last few days with Cue Card, whom I backed last weekend, shortening all the time. I topped up slightly at 7s a day or so ago just as momentum was building behind him but I'm more interested in backing Champagne Fever now at the odds. This Mullins creature is my main fancy for the Cheltenham Gold Cup and I was willing to let him run with my best wishes but no cash down when he was 7/2 but at 11/2 in a place this morning he is just too big not to back now. The market as it stands is made by Silviniaco Conti who is woefully short at 5/2. Yes he won the race last year but the ground will be a lot faster this time around and it will suit others far more. Champagne Fever is bred to stay, jumps like a stag and his poor runs around this time of year the last two seasons were both on soft ground. The other thing to bear in mind is that he will trade shorter in running given the way he's likely to be ridden so appeals as a back to partial lay proposition.

    Of the others I think Al Ferof, Dynaste and Menorah are all priced fairly accurately (although if I was to produce a book on the race I would be slightly bigger on the latter two.) One I like at a price is Wonderful Charm. I backed this horse for the RSA last season as I think he's a high class staying chaser in the making but his trainer until now has resisted stepping him up in trip. He stayed on really well behind Wishfull Thinking last time out and as long as his rider isn't too harsh on him once he comes off the bridle (he doesn't travel brilliantly and will find the pace quite hot) he will stay on and has place claims. At present he'd trading at around 10.5 on the machine in that market but I think he'll be much bigger IR. I'll be asking for 20 before the race.

Finally, Merry Christmas to anyone who reads this. Whether by accident or design.


King George VI Chase:
Cue Card £10ew @ 10/1 and £10w @ 7/1 (lost)
Champagne Fever £60w @ 11/2 (lost)
Wonderful Charm (IR £15@ 20 to place requested) (lost)

(+541.25)

No comments:

Post a Comment