27/12/2014

Leopardstown - 28th Dec

    Before I detail my thoughts on the Lexus Chase tomorrow I have some thoughts on the action thus far this Christmas. The obvious place to start is the King George which financially was a bit of a disaster for me. Silviniaco Conti was deeply impressive and the tactics were excellent given the opposition but I doubt similar ones would be employed in a Gold Cup. I'd want to be against him at short odds in March but it's finding one to go to war with. Champagne Fever jumped superbly but was just a bit too free, probably because he wasn't allowed to lead. I immediately took some 12/1 about him for the Ryanair after the race and I can see him bossing the race from the front like Cue Card did a couple of years back. The only problem is the Champion Chase could be a possible target. But at a double figure price I'm prepared to bet that team Ricci/Mullins will figure out that not being able to beat Western Warhorse last March over two miles would make him vulnerable over the minimum trip.

    Faugheen provided better news for the stable half an hour before the big race but in all honesty he didn't really tell us anything new and some bookmakers have over-reacted to his win. Stan James actually make him even money and have pushed out Jezki to 13/2 which I have taken. The defending champ has rock solid Cheltenham form and will be a far tougher nut to crack than anything Faugheen has faced thus far in his career.

    Onto the Lexus. This is turning into a Mullins themed entry as my bet in the race is Boston Bob. I'm surprised he's as big as 11/2 given that three miles will probably be his optimum trip and I wouldn't say he's been disappointing at all this season. He needed it first time out at Down Royal when Road to Riches (main danger imo) had a major fitness advantage and was beaten by a high class two and half mile chaser next at Punchestown. His trainer has said that he thinks the ground has gone against him but his form on heavy as a novice hurdler somewhat contradicts this and I don't think he's that ground dependent. He can get behind in his races but I doubt Road to Riches will go off as fast as he did in November as his pace that day was shrewdly enforced to take advantage of that fitness advantage. I think Boston Bob is basically a better horse than Lord Windermere and I would love to see him beat him out of sight after that nightmare RSA fall a couple of years back and Bob's Worth whilst respected doesn't look the same horse to me that won the Gold Cup and somewhat lucked out winning this last year when they went no gallop and the opposition was light compared to this renewal.

Lexus Chase:
Boston Bob £40w @ 11/2 (lost)

(+501.25)





No comments:

Post a Comment