07/07/2015

Ante-Post

    I mentioned how much of a big week this is for me during last night's entry and Officer Sydney finishing close second after looking all over the winner (touched 1.05 IR) in the last furlong was hardly the start I was after but I feel instinctively that I've turned the corner this season and I'm confident I can be in profit by the Autumn.

    The July meeting starts on Thursday and I have a couple of wagers lined up. In the Princes of Wales's Stakes I've taken some 13/2 about the Stoute trained Hillstar who I also backed in the race last year. Twelve months ago he finished second - undone partly by the rain softened ground and partly by being held up in a tactical race. This year's renewal is similar in many ways as the race features a short priced favourite stepping out of handicap company for the first time. Arab Spring was evens last season and like Hillstar was also unsuited by the rain that came before the race and this time around Mahsoob is similarly ridiculously short - in fact he's more opposable than Arab Spring was as to me his form isn't as strong. Hillstar is very under the radar as his one run in 2015 was a down the field effort in the Hardwicke - but he ran well enough in the race considering he was conceding fitness to his rivals. He was only 7/2 last season and so 13/2 stands out from a value perspective. I might hedge on stable companion Gospel Choir on the day.

    My other fancy is Amazing Maria in the Falmouth on Friday. It's a bit of a tentative selection as her form in winning at the Royal meeting was someway ahead of anything else she has achieved but her trainer is top drawer and I'm prepared at her price to give her the benefit of the doubt. The favourite Lucida looks strong but I think the majority of her other rivals look vulnerable on the likely fast ground. Avenir Certain has a high knee action and has never raced on faster than good, Fintry has encountered fast ground before and that was when she was disappointing on 1000 Guineas day back in May and yet another French trainer filly, Bawina, is yet another who has no form on ground with little cut in it. I therefore think 12s about O'Meara's filly is too big and she's a good each way bet.


Princess of Wales's Stakes:
Hillstar £25w @ 13/2

Falmouth Stakes:
Amazing Maria £10ew @ 12/1

John Smith's Cup:
Mount Logan £15w @ 16/1

Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe:
Jack Hobbs £15w @ 10/1

--
Champion Hurdle:
Peace and Co £10w @ 12/1

World Hurdle:
Whisper £10w @ 156/10


    

No comments:

Post a Comment