16/03/2012

Cheltenham Festival - Friday

Had an enjoyable day out yesterday but Medermit's reverse really stung. I knew he'd run well but underestimated the winner. His third place added to First Lieutenant's runner-up position and For Non Stop's third have me thinking that dipping into the place market, maybe having the odd each way double or two is the way to go with horse's I fancy at between 5s and 10s in competitive races. I've had Festival's before with plenty of placed horses at those sort of odds and it's something I will incorporate into my betting strategy in future Festivals

Onto today and I have one or two nice chances. The Triumph isn't one of my favourite races but I kind of fell for Baby Mix after his run at Kempton last time out. I did say on a forum I post in that I wasn't impressed with his jumping that day but I subsequently checked out the video of his win at Cheltenham in November where he beat a Nicholls hotpot and he was far more fluent then. He's a big gangly thing but I do like him a lot. I have him ante-post and have topped up but not for huge money as it's a very trappy race. Nick Williams  runs Urbain de Sivola who is one of the highest rated juveniles in the race and is overpriced at around 16s. I took 20/1 NRNB last week as there was a doubt about him running on fast ground but he's still in the race as I type.

In the Albert Bartlett I am still sweet on the chances of Mount Benbulben. He's a big strong type with an engine and whilst I was very disappointed with his run behind Boston Bob at Navan in December I think he has claims of reversing those placings. He cut out his own running that day and according to his trainer returned home sore.A lead and a decent pace will really suit this horse to add to the good ante-post position I have on him Paddy Power have come in with a nice concession whereby if your selection finishes second to the SP favourite your stake is returned. That market leader will be Boston Bob who is massively respected and feared but on the bright side I have him as the second part of an ante-post double with Sprinter Sacre so it looks like I have the race covered.

In the Gold Cup I have Time for Rupert at 16s and China Rock at big prices for a fiver. I've pretty much written off both bets and whilst I want Kauto Star to win I think Long Run will from Synchronised. Get him home safely Ruby.

Finally, last week I posted about Nick Williams runners and my hope that he'd get off the mark at the Festival. That has not happened and in truth he's not gone that close. However, in that entry I neglected to mention Cornas, who runs in the Grand Annual at 5.15. He has decent form this year having gone down narrowly to Medermit at Exeter in the Autumn before being out classed behind Sizing Europe in the Tingle Creek. He's a nice animal but the last thing he is is well handicapped or progressive. That said he's trading on Betfair at 60 to win and 9 to place (four paid out) and that is just too big. Worth a minimum bet I think.

Triumph Hurdle:
Baby Mix £40w @ 7/1 (lost)
Urbain de Sivola £20w @ 20/1 NRNB(lost)

Albert Bartlett:
Mount Benbulben £60w @ 105/10 and £30w @ 8/1 (money back special) (lost)
Sprinter Sacre (Arkle) and Boston Bob £20dbl @ 4/5 and 5/2 (lost)

Gold Cup:
Time for Rupert £50w @ 16/1 (lost)
China Rock £5w @ 79/1 (lost)

Grand Annual:
Cornas £10w @ 59/1 and £10pl @ 8/1 (lost)

Non Runners (including one multiple) - total of £165 lost.

(-290)

No comments:

Post a Comment