10/03/2012

Cheltenham Thoughts 10/3

Three days to go until probably the biggest punting week of my life. I was looking back at my records and I staked £900 last year at the Festival on 20 bets and on the flat at Royal Ascot in 2002 I staked £800 on 9 bets. Those all lost :(
I have some excellent bets this year but have too many non-runners and that is something I'll be looking at and trying to improve next year. My initial thought is that bets on horses at like 8/1 in January are a bit pointless when chances are they'll be 6s or 11/2 on the day. The shorter price is the better value bet because the non-runner element isn't a factor. Next season I really want double  figure prices only so long out from the meeting. 


Since my last post I've topped on the odd horse, added a couple in Oscar Whisky and First Lieutenant and had two or three multiples. Oscar Whisky is the fastest hurdler Big Buck's will have encountered nest Thursday and he has very good form over two and a half miles on deep ground so I think he will stay. I think he has excellent claims in the World Hurdle. I preferred Last Instalment over First Lieutenant for the RSA initially but unfortunately that horse sustained an injury during his last race. The latter won a good renewal of the Neptune last year, loves decent ground and Davy Russell gave cogent reasons as to why he was beaten in the Fort Leney last time out in the preview evening I saw at Leopardstown on Youtube earlier in the week. With Grands Crus looking likely to run on Wednesday rather than the Gold Cup now the race will have a good punting shape as I am against the grey at the price and Bob's Worth shouldn't be shorter than the Gigginstown creature I have now backed.


I don't suppose I have many regular readers but for those that may be out there and like a wager I wish you all the best for next week. It's the finest four days of the year for me. Enjoy.


Tuesday
Arkle:
Sprinter Sacre £240w @ 4/1 
Al Ferof £60w @ 5/1 (mbs)
--
Wednesday
National Hunt Chase:
Alfie Spinner £10ew @ 12/1 and £5pl @ 31/10

Neptune:
Simonsig £80w @ 47/10 


RSA: 
First Lieutenant £10w @ 5/1

Champion Chase:
Wishfull Thinking £20w @ 20/1 and £5pl @ 33/10
--
Thursday 
Ryanair:
Medermit £25w @ 16/1
Rubi Light £20w @ 82/10 

World Hurdle:
Mikael D'Haguenet £15w @ 34/1 and £10w @ 72/10 (w/o Big Bucks)
Oscar Whisky £25w @ 11/2
--
Friday
Triumph:
Baby Mix £20w @ 13/2
Urbain de Sivola £20w @ 20/1 NRNB

County Hurdle:
Empire Levant £15w @ 16/1

Albert Bartlett:
Mount Benbulben £50w @ 10/1 

Gold Cup:
Time for Rupert £50w @ 16/1
Captain Chris £10w @ 33/1 
China Rock £5w @ 79/1


£20 Multiple: 
Sprinter Sacre (Arkle) and Boston Bob (Albert Bartlett) @ 4/5 and 5/2 

£10 Multiples: 
Boston Bob (Neptune) and Noble Prince (Ryanair) @ 10/3 and 6/1 
Sprinter Sacre (Arkle) and For Non Stop (Jewson) @ 5/4 and 8/1
Sprinter Sacre (Arkle) and First Lieutenant (RSA) @ 10/11 and 11/2 
Peddlers Cross (Jewson) and Chapoturgeon (Foxhunters) @ 9/2 and 5/1


Non-Runners - total of £130 lost

3 comments:

  1. Best of luck Nick, I've really enjoyed reading your blog over the season. Let's hope the Sprinter does the business!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Nick,

    I too found your blog a few months ago and have really enjoyed your updates.

    Please add more during the week, and then a review and thoughts for next year.

    Besy of luck
    Jonathan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys, appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete