12/03/2012

Cheltenham Festival - Tuesday

Here we go then. A week of glorious highs (hopefully) and how the hell did that win lows (inevitably). But that's what make the sport so great. Let's hope first and foremost that all the horses running over the four days return home safe and sound.

Up until yesterday evening it was looking as if I would be involved in only the one race on day one and I thought to myself that that just can't be right, so I did some last minute form cramming after returning home from work and I managed to uncover a bet. The Festival handicap looks a bit of a nightmare and I'm not opposing Hurricane Fly in the Champion Hurdle but the Supreme Novices Hurdle that opens the meeting has a nice punting shape with two or three at the head of the market who look very skinny. Darlan looked like he was running a cracker at Newbury last time out but took a bad fall and he seems priced based on the fact that he would have won that race - and that just isn't certain by any means. Steps to Freedom is next best in the market but the form of his win at the course back in November looks a bit iffy. Indeed the third that day, a horse called Ericht, was beaten a lot further by Montbazon and Colour Squadron the following month. Added to that the fact that Steps to Freedom hasn't actually run since that day has to be a negative. The horse I have backed for the race, Tetlami, is trained like the favourite by Nicky Henderson, and I can only think his perceived status as the stable's second string is the reason he's 14/1 as I write. The aforementioned  Montbazon looked a nice prospect at Newbury last time out and is respected but the horse he gave a 7L beating to that day, Vulcanite, was 3 and half lengths behind my selection on boxing day at Kempton where he received a five pound age allowance. Whichever way you look at it those two animals have similar claims tomorrow but Tetlami is available at five points longer. It's not a race I have any sort of decent record in and I've taken advantage of Bet365 offering enhanced place terms. They're paying 1/4 the first four.

Onto my main bet of the day, and indeed one of the biggest bets I've ever had. I decided Sprinter Sacre was my Arkle horse after the Supreme last year. Physically he just looked by far the best chasing prospect of the big four who contested that wonderful renewal. I took 12/1 when I first saw the odds back on 22nd March and did some topping up at 10s at various points throughout the summer. Like I say physically he looked the complete chasing package but I could only dream at that stage as to how he would actually take to fences. He jumps beautifully and is such an athletic, agile animal that when he gets close to one, as he did when beating Peddlers Cross at Kempton just after Christmas, he just has that ability to sail over it like it isn't there. To me if he gets round he wins. Simple. I'll be very tense tomorrow, but that's part of the buzz. I remember having £25 each way on Subotica at 16/1 for the Arc back in 1992 - a very big bet for me in those days as I was unemployed at the time - and I remember thinking how alive and high I felt as the race was run. Win or lose that feeling is what all gamblers crave.


Supreme:
Tetlami £20ew @ 14/1 (lost)

Arkle:
Sprinter Sacre £240w @ 4/1 (won)
Al Ferof £60w @ 5/1 (money back special) (void)




(+127)

No comments:

Post a Comment