13/03/2012

Cheltenham Festival - Wednesday

Today we had a fantastic day's racing crowned by Sprinter Sacre achieving what I felt he always would throughout last year. He was hugely impressive in bossing the Arkle and I hope he stays at the top of the chasing game for years to come. The only downer were the deaths of two horses who were undone by firm ground conditions in the Cross Country Chase. They cannot water that part of the track unfortunately and I don't think the race should be run if they have no rain in the week leading up to the meeting.

I have bets in the first four races on Wednesday's card. In the opener Nick Williams runs Alfie Spinner in the four miler for Novices. It's a race for amateur riders and Sam Waley-Cohen get's the leg up on my fancy. Last time out Alfie ran a cracking race, jumping professionally throughout against some high class animals and whilst the trip is a worry I like the way this horse is progressing. Four mile 20 runner novice chases for amateur riders are hardly my bag though so I've not gone mad.

Simonsig I fell for when he was second behind Fingal Bay at Sandown earlier in the season. He's a horse with a huge engine who travels beautifully. The form of that novice hurdle has worked out very well and I backed him for the Neptune and the Supreme at double figure prices not long after it was run. As the form was franked so his prices for both races shortened and I found myself in a position where I could lay back my stake on both races at a nice profit and go in again when his target was confirmed. This I did and have done and so I'm left with a decent bet at just under 5/1. With Fingal Bay injured and Boston Bob running on Friday in the longer event I'm in a great position and very hopeful he'll win.

Rock on Ruby was a surprising winner of the Champion Hurdle earlier this afternoon and the horse that beat him in the Neptune last year, First Lieutenant, I make a decent wager at around 5/1 for the RSA Chase that follows the Neptune this year. I don't take on Grands Crus lightly, he's a fine looking chaser in the making, but he might just be a bit flashy for this - it's the sort of race that tends to go to grinders. So I want to be against him and also Bob's Worth as well. He seems a bit short in the market for me given his form this year and it has to said that his Albert Bartlett win is not looking nearly as good as First Lieutenant's Neptune victory a year ago. He jumped fine at Leopardstown behind Last Instalment over the Christmas period and whereas that horse would have been my first choice for this contest I do think my selection is trading at a backable price. I also have him in a double with Sprinter Sacre.

Finally in the Queen Mother I can't really oppose Sizing Europe who has looked as good as ever this season but I backed Wishfull Thinking for this a month or so ago at 20/1 and whilst I have little confidence in him being able to win the race, he does looks a spring horse to me who jumped really well in the Jewson last year and and I think 3/1+ in the place market is worthy of a bet given the eight runners who take part.

National Hunt Chase:
Alfie Spinner £10ew @ 12/1 and £10pl @ 3/1 (lost)

Neptune:
Simonsig £80w @ 47/10 (won)

RSA:
First Lieutenant £30w @ 56/10 (lost)
Sprinter Sacre (Arkle) and First Lieutenant £10dbl @ 10/11 and 11/2


Champion Chase:
Wishfull Thinking £20w @ 20/1 and £20pl @ 41/10 (fell)


(+385)

No comments:

Post a Comment