09/05/2013

Chester - 9th May

Not a good start to the week with Olympiad finishing stone last yesterday. It's never nice when that happens. Ultimately the draw was too big a burden to overcome although a more positive ride would have helped.

The Huxley Stakes interests me today. It's a contest that should be run at a decent pace with Highland Knight and Miblish both confirmed front runners and so the market leader Gabrial looks vulnerable as he has no form over further than a mile. I did say yesterday that Chester is a relatively easy track to stay a trip given the constant turning nature of it but this horse just strikes me as too short. He has a turn of foot but will he be able to deliver it under these different conditions? I kind of doubt it and I think he partly owes his shortish odds to running in the Koukash silks and being trained by Fahey who had the 1/2 in the Chester Cup yesterday.

To take advantage of this angle I'm going to dutch the two horses who are guaranteed to stay this trip. Bonfire won the Dante last season but has been most disappointing since. I think he's overpriced at a little over 4/1 however in this company. The horses who finished second an third at York have both run well early this season and he may have just needed the run in the Earl of Sefton. The Cumani trained Danadana won a really good handicap at the Ebor meeting last August carrying 10st and he looks the type to do well in better company this season.

Stakes are down partly because I've been struggling since Cheltenham and partly because I actually really hate this track.

Huxley Stakes:
Bonfire £40w @ 43/10 (lost)
Danadana £30w @ 48/10 (won)

(-96)

No comments:

Post a Comment