06/05/2013

Guineas Postscript

Dawn Approach was an impressive winner of Saturday's 2000 Guineas and I see Timeform have given him a rating of 132 for the race. Seems about fair even though a 150/1 was second. That horse probably raced on faster ground though towards the far side of the track. I'm very much looking forward to seeing Bolger's star colt taking on the likes of Camelot and Cirrus Des Aigles later on in the summer but I think he's way too short for the Derby and I'll be taking him on big time. He isn't stoutly bred on his damside and looks a pure miler/10f animal to me. The storm before the race wouldn't have helped my selection Cristoforo Colombo one bit but on a flat track and with fast ground under foot I still expect him to be some sort of force at Group 1 level.

As for the fillies, it was a pretty ordinary looking renewal and although I was pleased to see Sky Lantern win in the pit of my stomach is a feeling of dread because I fear that Ocovango, who I have doubled with the Hannon filly, isn't gonna turn up at Epsom. We'll see. What a Name never really got going but looked stunning in the paddock. Maybe she didn't stay. All told there weren't many pointers to future races in either Classic.

On the ante-post front I've backed Farhh for the Lockinge at Newbury on May 18th at 4/1. He put in some fine efforts last year behind the likes of Frankel and Nathaniel and he should be favourite for this race. Declaration of War heads the list but this will be a big step up in class. 

I'm loathe to bet in the Arc this early in the campaign but I really can't resist 25/1 about high class Japanese colt Gold Ship. He has a similar profile going into his 4yo season as Orfevre (won two rather than all three of their Triple Crown races) but was beaten last time out over two miles at Kyoto. However he was anchored (geddit!!) at the back during the majority of that race and had to use a lot of his energy to get in touch with the pace followers. He also met a little trouble in running down the straight before running on for sixth. I only expect two of Orfevre, Gentildonna and Gold Ship to run in Paris in October so I'm taking a chance but the price justifies it.

Ante-Post:

Lockinge:
Farhh £25w @ 4/1

Derby:
Sky Lantern (1000 Guineas) (won) and Ocovango £15ew double @ 9/1 and 12/1

Arc:
Gold Ship £15w @ 25/1 

--
King George:
Al Ferof £15w @ 16/1

Champion Hurdle:
Jezki £13w @ 20/1
My Tent or Yours £20w @ 95/10


No comments:

Post a Comment