03/05/2013

Newmarket - 4th May

                                                                 NEWMARKET
The Rowley Mile at Newmarket has been one of my better tracks from a punting point of view - indeed three of my biggest wins - Beauchamp Pilot in the 2002 Cambridgeshire, Bronze Angel in the same race last year and Finsceal Beo in the 2007 1000 Guineas were at the Suffolk course so my first visit there tomorrow is one I'm very much looking forward to.

The 2000 Guineas looks an up to standard renewal with Dawn Approach bringing very strong 2yo form to the table and Toronado looking a colt of huge promise in the Craven a couple of weeks back. The former doesn't look as vulnerable as his sire did in his year because he has more speed on the female line of his pedigree but I can foresee him hitting a flat spot as they race into the dip and I think the Hannon colt is the likeliest winner of the contest. My ante-post bet on Cristoforo Colombo looks solid now as he's into 8/1 but I'm not overly confident with two very tough looking opponents standing between him and victory. I backed him in the Middle Park here in October when he was hopelessly outpaced before running on really well in the last furlong and you can certainly make a decent case for him tomorrow. He was only a length behind Dawn Approach in the Coventry at the Royal Meeting and was disadvantaged in that race by his draw. That was also the last time he had the fast ground that really suits him and ultimately the reason I backed him for this first Classic of the season is that his price touched 42 on Betfair in the days after the Middle Park and I felt that was a huge overreaction - more a reflection on the perception that Ballydoyle would unearth stronger contenders than any damning verdict on the horse's ability I think. Anyway, as is my normal strategy I topped up on occasion during the winter and spring and I have a decent position on him. The two at the head of the market are very solid though and are both unbeaten. Lets hope my selection is as good as his sire - he might need to be better.

2000 Guineas:
Cristoforo Colombo £50w @ 16/1 (lost)

No comments:

Post a Comment