05/05/2013

Newmarket - 5th May

Can't say I was overly impressed with Newmarket yesterday. It's a pokey little place with too few facilities and pretty poor viewing. Certainly not a patch on Sandown which I visited for the first time back in December.

I'm far more confident about the chances of What a Name in the fillies classic than I was Cristoforo Colombo in the 2000. I've always been a sucker for a 1000 candidate that has form with colts. I backed Harayir for her renewal after her good second to Diffident in the Free Handicap and although Moonlight Cloud a couple of years back didn't win the race she ended up being comfortably the best filly in her year. Her shrewd handler is adamant that she'll be better on a decent surface than she showed in the Legardere and the Imprudence and at 10s ante-post I have an excellent position on her that I topped up on a couple of days back at 6s. Nell Gwyn winner Hot Snap heads the market but I think the price differential between her and the filly she beat in that trial Sky Lantern is too big and the Hannon candidate has claims of reversing placing in my opinion. She carried a small penalty in that race and I just think everything will need to go right for Hot Snap to win. She was tapped for toe in the Nell Gwyn at one point before a dream gap opened up for her on the rails. That won't happen today in a contest that can be rough and she is poorly priced at around 11/4. Sky Lantern is probably the best value left in the race now What a Name is like 9/2 and I have put her in a little each way double with the Andre Fabre trained Ocovango who reinforced his Derby claims in France yesterday.

1000 Guineas:
What a Name £60w @ 83/10 (lost)
Newfangled (NR) £15

Sky Lantern (won) and Ocovango (Derby) £15ew double @ 9/1 and 12/1

(-125)

No comments:

Post a Comment