13/05/2014

York - 14th May

   The Duke of York Stakes tomorrow features such an obvious bet at plainly inflated odds I genuinely think I might have missed something. The 3yo Astaire has high class form over the trip, is a course and distance winner, loves a bit of cut, and his Middle Park win last season has been franked already this season. So why is he 13/2 in a not particularly hot renewal? I can only think the 5lb penalty he carries for that Group 1 win at Newmarket and his run in the Greenham are to blame. The penalty is not ideal but it's probably overfactored into his odds, especially as precocious 3yos are advantaged by the wfa terms anyway this time of year over this sort of trip. And he plainly just didn't stay the 7f first time out; he's a sprinter pure and simple. As ever I'll take a concession if I can get one and I'll get a free bet if he's second.

Duke of York Stakes:
Astaire £40w @ 13/2 (mbs) (lost) (free bet of £25 placed on Australia - Derby @ 5/4)

(+336.95)

No comments:

Post a Comment