17/05/2015

Ripon - 17th May

    As Ryan Moore stormed through Newbury's card yesterday I was praying with each race that he'd lose as my vibes about Integral became worse and worse as the afternoon progressed and when he rode the winner of the race prior to the Lockinge, bringing up a four timer, I just knew Integral wouldn't win when that happened - it reminded me of Cheltenham and Annie Power falling at the last after Ruby almost went through the card. I've started the season poorly and it almost feels like with everything going right last year I'm paying for it now. I thought the Lockinge was incredibly average and that Karakontie would have won comfortably. On the other hand I had a run of something like fourteen straight losers in August/September last season so maybe I'm getting my running bad period out of the way early doors. I hope so.

    One of the horses who put me back in the game last September was the Andrew Balding trained 3yo Secret Hint who went into my tracker when finishing fourth in a handicap at Goodwood at the start of that month. She raced in isolation on the stands rail that day before drifting into the main bunch towards the end of the race; it was a really eye catching run - particularly as it was a race not confined to her own sex. She won nicely next time out at Newmarket. That was her final race of the season but she looked a filly who could progress from three to four. First time out in 2015 she was second in a 5.5f handicap at Wetherby when she was beaten comfortably be a rival she lines up against again today in the 3.15 at Ripon. That rival, a filly called Ridge Ranger, travelled very powerfully throughout and won nice enough, but she is 7lbs worse off with Secret Hint today and I do think a return to 6f will suit my selection. 5/2 isn't a price to get too excited about, and maybe my range has been broadened because of my poor start to the season, but I do believe this filly is on an upward curve and I think she'll win today.

Fillies' Handicap:
Secret Hint £40w @ 5/2 (lost)

(-565)

No comments:

Post a Comment