09/05/2012

Chester - 10th May

Today was one of the hardest days I've had to endure for a while on the horses. I knew that the ground wasn't much of an issue with Overturn and the weight he was carrying didn't bother me either. I always favour top weights at tight, turning courses like Chester and I was so confident of a huge run from the horse. But he kept drifting and so I kept backing him at 11 and 12 and 13 on Betfair - always knowing my angle was correct, that he would lead and he would trade a lot shorter in running. I had lays in place from 6/4 to 5/1 and they were all matched. It was heartbreaking seeing him caught in the short straight.

Anyway, I have to console myself with the fact that I am punting well at the moment. I'm getting the prices and the horses I'm backing are running well. But I have had five seconds since my last winner, three of them at double figure prices.

The theme that seemed to run throughout last year's flat season for me was the steady stream of shortish priced winners I had. I just kept ticking over all year, no really big winners (until Cirrus Des Aigles at Ascot) and no big reverses (Sarafina in the Arc apart) or losing streaks. That sort of betting year is a grind though and I would like some bigger winners this year for a bit of comfort. But, when they come along the good priced shorties have to be taken and tomorrow in the Huxley Stakes we have Questioning rather nicely priced at a little over 3/1 on the Exchanges. This John Gosden trained beast has had a cracking start to the year, beating Twice Over at Headquarters and going close at Sandown last time out on heavy ground. Underfoot conditions are the key to why I think this horse is a bet tomorrow. The recent rain has really got into the ground at Chester and more is forecast before racing tomorrow. Questioning obviously handles deep ground, is in form, his trainer is in form and he should be favourite for this contest. He has a 3lb penalty but that doesn't overly concern me and truth to tell it doesn't looks a particulary competitive event. The trip might be a slight concern but again, Chester is the sort of track where they are always on the turn and this helps conserve staying power. Wigmore Hall is a nice horse but isn't proven on the soft and the Godolphin animal is an easily opposed favourite given that outfits uninspiring start to the campaign.

Huxley Stakes:
Questioning £60w @ 31/10 (lost)


(-452)

No comments:

Post a Comment