04/05/2012

Newmarket - 5th May

My previous entry contained my thoughts on the 2000 Guineas and the draw has since been made which seems to have been kind to Abtaal who is drawn 2 alongside the only other front runner in the field. I'm really confident he will run well and have topped my bet up again.

The race before the first classic of the season is the Jockey Club stakes over 12f. My default setting on races like these is to try and find something to beat the favourite but try as I might I couldn't do it this time. Meandre is the horse who heads the market and actually looks worth a tickle at 9/4. He had decent, if not world beating form last season, but is handled by Andre Fabre who has a very good record in this race. Meandre's sire, Slickly, was a classy miler who found his best form as a 5yo and I think this in conjunction with Fabre's penchant for improving horses as they advance in age means Meandre will likely progress this year. His rivals in the race are a mixed bunch but the best of them (Dunaden and Masked Marvel) both carry 5lb penalties for their wins in the Melbourne Cup and St Leger last year. The Stoute trained Fiorente looks a possible danger. He's unexposed but seems underpriced as second favourite.

Jockey Club Stakes:
Meandre £60w @ 9/4 (lost)

2000 Guineas:
Abtaal £60w @ 14/1 (lost)
French Fifteen £30w @ 145/10 (lost)
Born to Sea £30w @ 11/1 (lost)

No comments:

Post a Comment