15/06/2015

Royal Ascot - Day 1 oh, and Beverley

    Right, big day coming up tomorrow. I have four wagers to detail.

    The Royal meeting kicks off with the Queen Anne and Night of Thunder is my selection in this. I have my doubts about Solow and Able Friend at the head of the market and Hannon's Guineas winner seems an obvious alternative given his liking for a straight track and fast ground. And that's before you consider the enticing money back offer from Powers. I think Solow is a worthy favourite, but 6/4 is way off the beam and he must be taken on at those odds. I'm not interested in his impressive Meydan win, time and again form from that meeting does not translate to European tracks and with Cirrus Des Aigles losing half a shoe in the D'Ispahan last time out he really hasn't beaten enough to justify his cramped odds. Able Friend looks a bit of a monster judging by the videos I've seen of him at Sha Tin but again, at his odds I have to question what he's beating over there and whether or not he'll appreciate a stiff mile like Ascot's. Night of Thunder is hardly the best Guineas winner we've had recently but conditions will suit and he's worth a go at the odds.

    I've already gone over my thinking on backing Muthmir for the King's Stand in one of my ante-post entries. Like Night of Thunder conditions will suit and his fearsome turn of foot and relative youth may see him best Sole Power - who is nevertheless respected as a two time winner of the race. I have topped up the 8/1 I got a few weeks ago.

    The St James's Palace Stakes does look at the mercy of Gleneagles but I do think Make Believe is slightly overpriced at 7/2 and in a race that looks to me like a two horse affair I've taken advantage of another money back concession (free bet if your selection is second) and also think Fabre's Poulains winner is a good back to lay prospect. There is every chance he will set the race up nicely for the favourite but I have to think he will trade much shorter in running than his current 7/2 and so I'm doing some wheeler dealing with this one.

    Finally, I have a tracker horse running at Beverley tomorrow evening. He's a three year old called Dark Red and he runs in the 7.15. Unraced as a 2yo this Ed Dunlop trained beast has had five runs thus far this season without getting his head in front but he went into my tracker last time out when in his first attempt over further than a mile at Goodwood he was poorly away at the start, losing three or four lengths, before flying home with a wet sail to finish a good four lengths third. Tomorrow's race is on a course he's run well on before and I feel the trip of eight and a half furlongs will suit. Mark Johnston has a hot pot at the top of market, a horse who won a handicap at Leicester just two days ago, so he hasn't been re-assessed yet and so only carries a 6lb penalty for a six length win. However that win on Sunday was over 7f and his other efforts over 8f+ hardly justify his cramped odds here. Ed Dunlop is a shrewd trainer and has had Dark Red entered up in loads of maidens the last week or so without declaring him and I think he doesn't want to spoil his good handicap mark. 100/30 is the price, but it's a six runner event so I didn't expect any bigger.

Queen Anne Stakes:
Night of Thunder £20w @ 66/10 and £50w @ 6/1 (lost)

King's Stand Stakes:
Muthmir £50w @ 625/100 (3rd)

St James's Palace Stakes:
Make Believe £75w @ 7/2 (lost)

Beverley Folk Festival Here This Weekend Handicap:
Dark Red £40w @ 100/30 (lost)

(-815.75)


No picture today. Two reasons - one is that I have never actually backed the winner of the King's Stand or Queen Anne (nice confidence booster.) Two, I can't find a picture of Grand Lodge or Marju from their SJP wins :(







No comments:

Post a Comment