19/06/2015

Royal Ascot - Day 5

    I backed Telescope in the Hardwicke Stakes last season, and managed to get on at 5/2 (returned 7/4.) This year's renewal is far hotter and yet Telescope is shorter - he must be taken on. Like Stoute's horse Postponed was an impressive winner of the Voltigeur as a 3yo and tomorrow's race is only second try at 12f. I expect similar improvement from his last race at the Curragh that we got from The Grey Gatsby on Wednesday. I'm worried about the forecast rain due at Ascot in the morning and have my fingers crossed the racecourse will miss most of it, but things have not gone my way one bit this week so we'll have to see.

    The Golden Jubilee looks a race with a nice betting shape. I want to be against the Aussie horse just because of the travel and also Mustajeeb as he won an egg and spoon race last time out. My pick is Due Diligence who ran well in the race last season when he covered more ground than most in drifting across the track. He clearly wasn't ready first time out but his trainer doesn't bring animals over to this meeting who aren't fit enough and ultimately sans a Slade Power 6/1ish is very fair. I've had some on each way as a couple of layers are paying four places.

Hardwicke Stakes:
Postponed £50w @ 7/2 (3rd)

Diamond Jubilee:
Due Diligence £20w @ 68/10 and £15ew @ 11/2 (lost)

(-1023.25)

No comments:

Post a Comment