16/06/2015

Royal Ascot - Day 2



         
                                                                         Vision d'Etat - 2009


    I'm finding it really difficult to be positive as we head into day two of the royal meeting. Today's bets all went down and I was very disappointed in the runs of Night of Thunder and Make Believe in particular. Both ran well below form and that's the sort of thing that completely decimates confidence, it's not the sort of thing you want to see become a common occurence, but it is the sort of thing that can be a theme when one is on a losing streak. This is somewhat worrying during a big meeting.

    I backed The Grey Gatsby for the Prince of Wales's Stakes a week or so ago at a decent looking 8/1. He was very colty in the paddock last time out at the Curragh and I'm basically hoping he can return to the sort of form he showed last year. This race has a history of falling to 12f animals and I think he needs a stiff 10f or further these days. He stayed on really well behind Australia in the International over an extended 10f at York last August and I feel a reproduction of that form will see him go really close. I like the application of first time cheek pieces but I'm not overjoyed with Moore deserting him for Cannock Chase - not so much because I really respect his judgement - I don't, but because Spencer is on instead and I can't remember the last time he was on one of my winners. I've topped up at 13/2 with the money back concession Hills run for Channel 4 races.

    My only other bet is American Hope in the Hunt Cup. I detailed my thoughts on this wager at the weekend so see no need to repeat myself now. Let's hope for a better day.

Prince of Wales's Stakes:
The Grey Gatsby £15w @ 8/1 and £25w @ 13/2 mbs (2nd)

Royal Hunt Cup:
American Hope £20ew @ 25/1 (lost)

(-895.75)









No comments:

Post a Comment