30/06/2015

Ante-Post

    For the first time this season I've been lucking at the market for Arc in October and I like what I see. Jack Hobbs was impressive at the Curragh on Sunday and his excellent trainer said he'll be put away for the summer now and brought back for a Niel/Arc campaign. Contrast this with his Derby conqueror who runs on Saturday in the Eclipse and then probably in the bigger summer 10f contests at York and Leopardstown - hardly ideal preps for the Arc, for which he is half the odds of his stable companion. I took some 10/1 about Jack Hobbs on Sunday.

    I look at the ante-post markets everyday trying to sniff out some angle and I think I've found one in the Coral Charge, a Group 3 over 5f at Sandown this Saturday. Mecca's Angel heads the market, justifiably so, but he was pulled out of the King's Stand a couple of weeks back because of the ground and with the current heatwave there must be an excellent chance he won't take part at the weekend, particularly as it isn't a Group 1. Medicean Man is next in the betting and he ran an excellent race in the King's Stand but subtract his Ascot form from his CV and he looks nothing out of the ordinary and is safely ignored. The rest of the field seems to consist of veterans and handicappers so I have backed the Gosden 3yo Waady at 6/1. I think this horse will start favourite on the day, he's won over course and distance three times and his form this season is very solid. Looking back at his race videos for the year I was actually impressed with his only defeat when he finished behind Adaay at Newbury. He was switched that day and was slightly unfortunate to be away from the action before running on towards the end of the race (he also looked a bit green that day.) He showed speed and a turn of foot last time out and looking at the contenders for the race overall his price sticks out like a sore thumb to me.

    Finally, RIP to Kauto Star. I was always more of a Denman man but I was lucky enough to see Kauto in action three times - His Betfair Chase wins in 2007 and 2009 (when he short-headed Imperial Commander, an absolute stormer of a race.) I was also at Cheltenham when he came down in his one try at the Queen Mother in 2006. He's the best chaser I've seen, a true great. Run free big fella.

Coral Charge:
Waady £25w @ 6/1

John Smith's Cup:
Mount Logan £15w @ 16/1

Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe:
Jack Hobbs £15w @ 10/1

--
Champion Hurdle:
Peace and Co £10w @ 12/1

No comments:

Post a Comment